Progress, not perfection

OK, so I'm a failure. Yes, that's right, a complete and total failure. Loser. Just can't seem to get it right, no matter how hard I try. Once again, I have proven that I am incapable of following through.
What am I talking about? I'm talking about yesterday. What?  You didn't hear? You missed the huge announcement? I'm sure it was on CNN or Fox, or something. I was just too embarrassed to watch for it.
Alright, if you didn't see it yesterday, I'm sure you'll find out soon enough, so I'll just tell you.
I failed to write in my blog yesterday.
I know! I am a complete and total failure, right? I was trying to be committed to writing in my blog for 46 straight days, so I could build this cool habit. But once again, I failed. Just like the time I was going to lose all that weight. And the time I was going to do 50 pushups and sit-ups every day for a year. And the time I was going to do all my forms every day for a month. And the time I was going to give up chocolate.
Wait a minute...I don't think I EVER said I was going to give up chocolate...
In any event, it is just one more confirmation that I am a failure.
Why didn't I write yesterday? Well, truth to tell, the "why" isn't really important. I could probably create a "reason". Which would essentially amount to an "excuse", which would deflect from the fact that I simply let other things be more important than me sitting down for 20-30 minutes and letting my brain download through my fingers.
I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "How can you possibly live with yourself, knowing what an abject failure you are?"
Well....I could mollify myself by looking around me, pointing fingers, and saying, "Well, at least I'm not as big a failure as THAT person over there." Because, of course, that makes it all better. That completely absolves me of my choices and my shortcomings.
Or not.
So, the solution is that I should simply stop trying to do things. I should stop trying to set goals, improve my habits, stop doing the next right thing. Because obviously, I'm simply not good enough to do it perfectly, and if I can't do it perfectly, there's simply no reason to even try, because I'm just going to fail, and then everyone will point at me and say, "See? I TOLD you. Those Christians are all alike. Hypocrites."
Well, let me share something with you all. I'm not perfect. And I'm never going to BE perfect. God sees me as redeemed and forgiven, through the shed blood of Christ. It's not about condemnation, it's about grace, and a change in direction. If we were capable of being perfect, we would have no need of a Savior. If we were capable of being perfect, we would have no need of God. If we were perfect, we would worship...ourselves.
But it's not like that, is it? All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
"But I'm not as bad as THAT person." Let me ask this question. If the speed limit is 55 mph, and you're going 60 mph, are you breaking the law?  If somebody blasts past you going 85 mph, are they breaking the law? The answer to both questions is "yes".

Quick aside on speeding laws:  This is Voorheesian logic, so bear with me.
What is the purpose of speeding laws?  I've been told repeatedly that speed laws are there to make driving safe for the general public. Yet, we see people speeding ALL the time. Why? Because the chances of getting caught are slim, and the penalty for speeding is relatively painless. So I submit that speeding laws aren't there for "safety" so much as they are there for "revenue generation."
So here's my approach: If speed laws really and truly ARE about "safety", I say that they should be enforced with the same rigor that any other crime is...like burglary. And the penalties for speeding should be uniform, regardless of the speed you are going. First offense, $10,000 fine, and loss of license for 1 calendar year, with no opportunity for a work permit or anything else. Second offense, $50,000 fine, and loss of license for 5 calendar years, again, no possibility for a work permit, or any other opportunity to drive. 3rd offense, $100,000 fine, 6 months in jail, loss of driving privileges for life. No opportunity for reinstatement.
In my opinion, those penalties would actually deter someone from speeding. AND, for those it doesn't deter, the fines would make up the lost revenue of nickel and diming the rest of the public with speeding tickets like we are today.
Now, if speed laws really ARE about "safety", then someone will take my proposal seriously. But, they won't, because it's not about "safety" so much as it's about "revenue". But that's just my opinion.

Back to this whole "perfection" thing. In the Bible, we're told that some teachers of the law brought a woman before Christ. They told him, "Hey, we caught this woman in the act of adultery. The Law of Moses says we should stone her. What do you say?" After giving them some time to stew, Jesus said, "OK, stone her. But I would ask that the one among you who is without sin throws the first rock." Eventually, they were all gone, except Jesus and the woman. "Where are your accusers? Is there no one left to condemn you?"
"No, my lord," was her answer. "Then neither do I," Jesus said.
But here is where a lot of folks stop. Here is where some people get caught up in the idea that being a follower of Christ is a free pass to do whatever you want. But it's not. You see, after Jesus forgave the woman, He also gave her direction. "Now go and sin no more."
In other words, make different choices. If you don't make different choices, you're going to end up right back in the same spot again.

So, yesterday, I failed. I didn't write in my blog. Today, I got up, and made some adjustments to my schedule, and here I am, writing in my blog again. Tomorrow? My intent is to write. But it's not about perfection. It's about "progress".
Progress, not perfection.

My two cents worth today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving