Discipline = Training

Hebrews 12, verse 11: "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."
We tend to equate the word "discipline" with "punishment". But if you look at the original translations, the word we translate into "discipline" is roughly the same word as what we translate into "training".
So another way of reading this verse would be: "No TRAINING seems pleasant at he time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been TRAINED by it."
Gumnasia and Paideia. One refers to the training of the body, and the other refers to the training or rearing of a student or child. Both refer to "training". Not "punishment".
I hate to keep referring to my years as a martial artist, but to put a fine point on it, that's the only physically challenging thing I've every really done in my life where I jumped in whole-heartedly. I surrendered to the training -- the disciplining -- of my mind and body. Along that path, I've begun to learn to discipline my spirit. Now, I've been fortunate in my TKD training. I've only broken 1 bone (the same one twice), and only dislocated one finger. I've had a multitude of bumps, bruises, a few cuts, lots of sprains/strains, and countless hours of kicking, punching, forms, drills, sweating like a dog, and dragging my fuzzy butt up off the floor for "one more round". At times it hurt, at times I wanted to quit, but I knew I was growing and changing. I knew that if I just stuck with it, I would become what I really wanted to be...a good martial artist and a good instructor. I wanted it that badly. 
I've recently decided to take the same approach to eating. Do I still believe that the four food groups consist of chocolate, pizza, beer....did I mention chocolate?
But I also don't like the fact that I can't seem to shake high cholesterol, or a slightly elevated A1c, nor this spare tire I've been carrying around my waist for 25 years. 
I've prayed for God to help me get healthier. And that worked about as well as it would be have worked if I had prayed to God to make me a 6th Dan, and I never put on the white jammies or went to class. I had to put in the training. I had to have the "discipline". I had to do something different than what I was doing (sitting on the couch) if I wanted God to help me.
Because when we ask God for help, he frequently asks us to do a gut-check. "Seriously, child? Are you certain you want what you are asking for?" Because He knows it will take a change in attitude, or change in behavior, for us to accomplish what He will set before us. "No training seems pleasant at the time, but painful." Immediate effort for long-term gain. I wasn't going to get healthy by continuing to binge-eat a pizza, or snacking on chocolate. I have to make some sacrifices. I have to do something different, if I want to see change.
So what about a person's spiritual life? "God, save me from myself. Assure me of my place in Heaven when I die."
And what does God say? "Are you sure?  Because if we go down this path, I promise I will get you there, but the only path to Heaven is by denying yourself, taking up the Cross, and following me." You see, in order to "live" in Christ, we have to "die" to ourselves. The only path to Heaven and eternal life is through death.
Hmmm...that might be a tad painful. Yeah, it is. This whole concept of change. Face it, we like it like this. We like being "comfortable". We like staying in our little shell. Sure, we want what's best for us...so long as somebody gives it to us, and we don't have to do anything differently.
"God, save me from myself. I'm overweight and my health sucks. Please make it better."
"Lar, are you sure? I mean, I will help you get there...but you're gonna have to make some changes."
For quite a number of years, I would leave the conversation right there. I wasn't willing to do the training. I wasn't willing to participate in the "discipline" of doing life differently.
But faced with the fact my health was steadily declining, I had two options...continue on the path I was on, knowing it was going to lead to an early demise, or make changes so that I could try to improve my health, and hopefully be around to see my grandsons grow up, get married, have children.
You want to know what inspired me? My parents.
I see the joy they have when their great-grandsons come to see them. Especially my dad. He just GLOWS.
Well, I decided I wanted that.
Remember how I wanted to be a martial arts master? It only happened because I asked God for guidance, and I put on the white jammies and sweat like a dog for 30+ years. Well, I have two more goals in this life that I would like to reach. First, I would like to see my great-grandchildren, and second, I promised my wife that she was stuck with me for 75 years. After 75 years of marriage, if she wasn't satisfied, we could re-negotiate then. So, I have to stick around until I'm 110. Simply praying for it won't make it so. I have to be willing to do the discipline -- the training -- necessary to reach those goals.
"...Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

My two cents worth today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving