Who I am, and Why I'm running

Let me begin with a couple of quotes.

"WE THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF IOWA, grateful to the Supreme Being for the blessings hitherto enjoyed, and feeling our dependence on Him for a continuation of those blessings, do ordain and establish a free and independent government, by the name of the State of Iowa."

Any idea where that's from? Correct...that is the Preamble to the Constitution of the State of Iowa. How about this next one?

"Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain."

You guessed it...that's the State Motto. It can be found on our State flag, and elsewhere.

My name is Larry Voorhees, and I’m applying for a job. The job I’m applying for is to represent the people of Northeast Des Moines in the Iowa House of Representatives. I’m asking you to hire me and allow me the privilege of serving you, the 68th District, and being your voice in the State Capitol, for the next 2 years.

With that said, I feel it only fair that I tell you a little bit about me. That way, you know what you’re getting when you hire me.

I’m not a professional politician. For one thing, I believe that “integrity” is a character trait that is essential for a person in public office. Some folks have called me “brutally honest”. I’m not sure what that means, because I don’t understand why being honest has to be considered “brutal”.

I believe it’s of the utmost importance to listen to and respond to the people that I represent. After all, they’re the ones who hired me. I work for them.

I am an independent thinker. I can analyze information, come to a reasonable conclusion, and vote for doing the “next right thing”. I don’t make deals. I don’t make trades. Right is right, wrong is wrong, and a man of integrity doesn’t trade one for the other. That's the difference between having a belief or a "position", and having a "conviction".

I believe that tomorrow’s politician will have the mindset that George Washington had. You see, he believed in the citizens of this nation being the ones who actually participated in the government. He had a concern that if the same people were always in power and always in the government, that they’d become the “new nobility”…the new “ruling class”. He’d seen enough of that. In fact, we’d just been through a war of Independence to rid ourselves of just such a system of society, where the “special people” were “entitled”, and everybody else wasn’t.
I have direct ancestors that have fought in almost every war, starting with the American Revolution. My dad, my uncle and my father-in-law all served in the Army…my father-in-law during WWII, and my dad and uncle during the Korean war. The men in my family have worn the uniform of this country for generations, to ensure a government of, by and for the people.

Did you know that Washington was offered the position of “President for Life”.? He turned it down. He set the pattern of a president only serving two terms. After Roosevelt (the only president to serve MORE than two terms), an amendment was made to the US Constitution limiting future presidents to no more than two terms. Why? Because this government is supposed to be run by citizen-legislators, not professional politicians.
I tell you right here and now that if elected, I will serve as State Representative for this district for no more than two terms. Then, it will be time for someone else to step forward to serve.

Today, I find myself to be a dissatisfied customer, if you will. You see, I am sorely dissatisfied that our most recent legislature doesn’t think that the people of this state can make some decisions on their own.

What do I mean by that? Well, there’s has been a movement to put a question to the general populace in the form of a constitutional amendment defining marriage in Iowa as being “between one man and one woman”. So, why isn’t that on the general election ballot for next month? Because it would have to be debated on the floor of the legislature, and many of the members of the legislature don’t want to have to go on record as being opposed to it. But if you don’t ever let it out of committee, or don’t bring it to the floor for discussion, it can be effectively “ignored”. Well, I believe that the people of this state are able to decide for themselves whether or not they want that definition as a part of their state constitution. I will push to have that issue brought to a vote in a general election.

What else…oh yes! The smoking ban. I don’t smoke cigarettes. My wife doesn’t, my folks don’t, …and you know what? If I don’t want to frequent an establishment that allows smoking…I’m smart enough to decide for myself that I’m not going to. But if I want to go to Toad’s over here north of the Fairgrounds because I like the fact they have Fat Tire on tap, and I know that the owner allows smoking…well, then I have to decide if one is worth the other or not. But you know what? I’m pretty sure I’m smart enough to make that choice myself. I’m pretty certain that I don’t need the state legislature making that determination for me.

As a small business owner myself, I bristle at the thought of the state telling me what I can and cannot do in my own business.

“Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain”.

Small businesses are the lifeblood of our economy, not only here in Iowa, but throughout the country. The more obstacles and hurdles we put in front of small businesses, the harder it will be to keep their doors open. And what happens if small businesses fail? I’ll tell you what….it’ll make the craziness of Wall Street over the past 2 months seem like a picnic in the park by comparison. Terrorists won’t have to attack this country to destroy it….we’ll do it for them, just through legislation that implodes our own economy.

Let’s talk about taxes for a minute. Anybody here that feels like they aren’t paying enough in taxes, and would like to make a free-will donation to the state general fund, please raise your hand. What... no volunteers? Nobody feel quite that "patriotic"?

Now let me take a look at that Preamble to the state constitution again. “We the People”. “free and independent state”. Okay, a little clarity first. Like my momma says, nothin’s “free”, everything has a cost. I would echo that and add, “especially freedom.” Sometimes we pay for our freedom with blood. Fortunately, more often, the cost is just money. But I’d like to suggest a philosophical notion to you. In my opinion, all too frequently, we hear people in the State House talking about “the state’s money” and “the state’s budget” and “the state’s expenditures”….
I submit to you this concept for consideration: The State doesn’t HAVE any money. The money that is in the state general fund is YOUR money. It is MY money. If the state is truly the servant of the people, then we need to remember that concept. That money has been given to the state in trust, to SERVE the people of Iowa. And I believe that the State needs to do a better job at being good stewards of the resources that they are holding in trust for you and me, before ANYbody starts talking about giving them MORE resources. Like the Bible says…those who are faithful with a little will be given more. I want to step in there and see if I can’t help them be MORE faithful with what has already been given. I’m not convinced that it’s being well-used today.

I graduated college as a school teacher, and I went on to teach school for over 10 years. I am familiar with the education system, and have seen how that system works in other states, as well. You know one thing that really frustrates me? People are focused a great deal on the question of “what can we do to make our schools more successful”. I prefer to ask this question: “what can we do to make sure that we graduate students who are proficient at the necessary skills for them to be successful.”

First problem, we don’t graduate enough of our students from high school. Corollary to that issue is the fact that those we DO graduate, don’t have the basic skills necessary to be successful, either in a vocation, or in higher education. Reading, Writing, Reading Comprehension, Calculation skills, basic economic understanding, American History, Understanding and Appreciation for the Arts, Science, Physical Education. These are the core basics of any good education system. However, if Little Johnny is in 3rd grade, and he can’t read at a 3rd grade level, he can’t write, comprehend, do math, understand money, know some basic American History, hasn’t had any exposure to art or music, doesn't know that water and electricity don't go together, and he plays video games or watches TV all day …..have we done our job in the education of our children?
Worse yet, somebody gets the wild idea that it would arrest little Johnny’s emotional development if he doesn’t move into the 4th grade with his peers, so we move him into 4th grade. And we spend a bunch of money on special classes, special tutors, self-esteem lectures, and a whole host of other social agenda-focused items…and in 8-9 more years, Little Johnny walks up to a podium, receives a high school diploma, and still can’t function in our society, because he can’t read, write, balance a checkbook, understand what credit is, know what his civic duties and rights are. So what happens? YOUR tax money, and MY tax money are then used to subsidize little Johnny, because the poor boy has no skills, and is totally unemployable, so it’s up to US to support him, because he simply can’t support himself.

I have a scientific, technical term for that kind of system.

“Baloney”.

I would propose the following:
  1. NO “social promotions”. Zero.
  2. Use the Iowa Tests of Educational Development (ITED’s) as baseline points in 4th, 8th and 10th grade.
  3. Institute an “exit exam” for graduation. Either the state provides one, or the individual school districts can design their own, provided it tests on the basic criteria at least at the same level as the state one, as a minimum.
  4. Make that Core Curriculum I mentioned earlier a requirement across the board. If local school boards want to add electives to their curriculum above and beyond that, great, but reading, writing, computational skills, American History and Civics, Arts and/or Music, and a mandatory class in PE every single year of high school. And I mean PHYSICAL education. Something that will teach our children how to be physically active for the rest of their lives.

I’ve been asked several times why I’m running for this job. I mean, there are a lot of factors that would actively deter me from running. Actually, if I’m elected, it’s going to result in some…creative restructuring of our household’s finances. You see, when I told my boss that I was going to run for office, and that if elected, I’d be asking for an unpaid leave of absence for the 4 months that the legislature is in session….she told me that she applauded my desire to be involved in the community, but that if I was elected, I’d have to decide whether I was going to continue to work for the company or not.
I can tell you, it isn’t about the money. We’ll be cutting our household budget significantly by me being elected and having to quit my job. Why would I do that?

I mentioned earlier that I also run a small business. I’m a Taekwondo instructor. I’ve been a black belt in Taekwondo for over 20 years. We run several part-time clubs in churches and community centers around central Iowa. No, we really don’t make any money at that, either, but that’s pretty much by choice. Okay, Carrie would prefer that I be a bit more concerned about actually making money doing it, but for me, teaching Taekwondo is a way for me to be able to impact people’s lives. You see, we don’t just teach kicking and punching and wearing the cool white pajamas. Those are all just the vehicle that we use to teach people how to live lives of Courtesy, and Integrity. Have Perseverance and Self-Control How to confront life and obstacles with an Indomitable Spirit.

Those of us that have the ability to do something and make a difference, also have the duty and moral obligation to do something and make a difference. It would be wrong of me to teach my black belts that I expect them to have the heart of a servant, if I’m not willing to live that out in front of them….if I’m not willing to live that out in front of YOU….on a daily basis.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is who I am. This is why I am doing what I am doing. And this is what I am going to do for you, as your elected representative to the Iowa State House for District #68.

and that is my two cents worth for today.

--Larry Voorhees

Comments

You sounded fine until your ridiculous rant on the smoking ban. You lost my vote. Smoking kills innocent people. And you're okay with addicted people doing it to others. That's not the type of "representation" I'd like to have. The "don't go there" argument is just stupid. We live in a communal society based on laws. We don't let our citizens drive drunk, we don't let them dump oil down the sewer, we don't let them shoot guns in town. But you, you're okay with them smoking--because I should be smart enough to stay away. Dumb. You should be smart enough not to drive around happy hour or closing time if you don't want to encounter a drunk driver. You should be smart enough not to live near me if you don't want your groundwater contaminated. You should be smart enough to not cut me off in traffic because maybe I'm carrying my automatic rifle in my car.

The "smart enough" or "don't go there" argument is dumb--especially for a potential LEGISLATOR to make. You LEGISLATE to protect and serve the people. Not to coddle addicts who spew cancer causing filth into the public air.
Larsen said…
The problem with the smoking ban is that the legislature only wants to protect people who eat out at restaurants or drink at bars, which are private businesses. The legislature does not find it necessary to protect the people who gamble because the state would lose that revenue to another state or an indian reservation. The legislature either needs to ban smoking or not ban smoking. The current situation basically says, if the state government makes money from gambling, we don't care if you get cancer. It should be all or nothing.
Larsen,

there is no such thing as a perfect piece of legislation. That is where this anti-smoking law falls. It's not perfect...but it's progress. We live in a community that is governed. That government takes money to operate. Everything in life is a trade-off. This was too. Someday maybe we can have a total ban--but not today. "All or nothing" is a nice thought, but not practical.
ryan:
I appreciate your feedback. I would appreciate you providing me some clarity to your thoughts, please. Help me understand how smoking kills innocent people, if those people choose not to go into an establishment? You indicate that it's "public"; however, I would counter that a private business is exactly that...private. No one is required to go into an establishment. They enter and patronize a business because they choose to.
If you choose not to do business in an establishment that has smoking, you are certainly within your rights not to, just as you are certainly within your rights not to go into Victoria's Secret and purchase a bra. However, making it illegal for others to go into Victoria's Secret and purchase that bra merely because you find it offensive (not saying you do...just an example), is imposing your own wishes on the wills of others who may not be like-minded.
As I mentioned...I don't smoke. I can choose for myself whether or not to go into an establishment that permits smoking. Personally, I believe you are smart enough to make that health-choice for yourself. I don't believe you need the state legislature to baby-sit your health.
But I could be wrong...
Personally, I think I AM smart enough to not drive around bars at 2:30 AM, and smart enough to not live near someone who is contaminating groundwater. I'm also smart enough to not add unnecessary legislation to our already over-legislated lives.
Again, sir, thank you for your input
addendum...I would also encourage you to read all of the previous postings on this blog. It may give you a better picture of who I am, rather than this one simple posting.
--Larry Voorhees
Larry,

science has proven time and again that second hand smoke kills. People who choose to not believe that are fooling themselves, and usually doing so under the influence of an addiction to tobacco. I know you're not arguing the science here--you're arguing the freedom of choice. But where I find flaw in your argument is when you claim that because an establishment is a "private" business that it should be allowed to do as it pleases. While it may be privately owned--the owner chooses to make a profit off of and operate in the public realm. Doing so means that owner automatically is subject to regulation a million times over to ensure many different standards are met--taxes paid, safety standards met, appearance, hours, etc. To say private ownership should mean they can do what they want is just not true. By your logic then you think the owner of a small bar in which the fire code only allows for say...100 people to patronize at any one time...that the owner there should be allowed to host 250 people at once if he so chooses? And do so without sprinkler systems? Without following health code standards? After all, if you don't like possibly burning to death in the event of a fire or don't like a little E.coli in your dinner...just be smart enough not to go there????????

When you choose to make a profit off the public you submit to regulation. Many of those regulations involve the safety and health of your patrons. This is no different.

FYI, it's condescending to use terms like "baby-sit" or "nanny state". You used the former, and probably have used the latter too, I'm guessing.

I have read other posts of yours. I would think since you talk about your taekwondo involvement and how much of a lifestyle choice that is, that you'd be adamantly against public smoking. Would you be okay with your students smoking? Would you not preach againt smoking to them? Being a mentor/instructor to them in the area of a healthy life I would hope you would. As a legislator I would hope you would also. Addiction to tobacco costs the taxpayers money.

Thanks for the ear,

Ryan
my addendum,

the taekwondo element---would you consider yourself a role model for your students and instructors? Shouldn't you strive to be one? If so, then wouldn't being okay with smoking make you a bit of a hypocrite if you try to teach a healthy lifestyle to them? If you fight to allow public smoking in this state then how can you try to teach a healthy lifestyle on the backside? It just seems odd to me. It seems your argument is about gaining the smoker's vote. It seems very political, not in tune with what the rest of your life says about you.
I teach my students to use common sense to make their choices, and that they are responsible for the choices that they make. As you so correctly noted, my position is not based on whether or not smoking is healthy. Instead, it is based on what I perceive to be over-regulation of private business. A position that is shared by the vast majority of the people within my district who have spoken with me during the course of this campaign.
Again, Ryan, thank you for your input. I appreciate the discourse.
--Larry Voorhees

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Thanksgiving