Ash Wednesday

Good morning, world, and welcome to Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent for those of us believers in the Christian faith.
Historically, Lent has been a time of reflection, and for some, a period of self-denial, in preparation of the celebration of the Resurrection of our God, King and Saviour.
Many people "give up something for Lent". For some it is meat on Fridays, for some it is a bad habit, for others something as self-depriving as "I'm going to give up Facebook for Lent." (and for some...that IS a huge sacrifice!)
I've never been a big one for doing that...the whole "giving up something for Lent" thing. Until last year. I took the opportunity during Lent to see if I could re-work what I saw as an unhealthy habit for me. I gave up soda. My rationalization was that I figured I could do it for a finite period of time (the 46 days of Lent), and see how I did. It wasn't "one day at a time for the rest of my life", but it became "one day at a time for these 46 days".
And I was successful. And after Easter, I gave myself permission to once again enjoy a soda, if I chose to. Except the few that I've had since then, I really didn't "enjoy". I had successfully broken myself of the habit, and realized I really didn't like the taste, nor how it made me feel.
This year, I'm going to try to break myself of the habit of refined and added sugar. When Easter comes, I'll let you know how I did.
But that isn't the focus of my post today. I want, instead, to broach the idea that instead of "giving up" something for Lent, we "take up" something.
If the purpose of giving up something is self-sacrifice and/or self-denial, then I propose we each do so in a meaningful manner. What is more about getting out of one's self than to perform a self-less act? What speaks more about self-sacrifice than giving of one's time/talent/treasure to someone else who isn't expecting it, and you have no expectation of notice or recognition?
My challenge to you all (and to myself) this Lent, is to take UP a new habit. Take UP a habit that puts someone...ANYone...before yourself. Don't tell anyone about it, until after Easter. Or even at all.
There's my plan for Lent (besides cutting out sugar). Go out, and develop a new habit...even something as simple as always taking in a grocery cart from the parking lot whenever you go to a store...and make that your practiced act of self-sacrifice for the next 46 days.
Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father, who is in heaven.
My two cents worth today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving