Learning by Emulation

I'm not sure what the title of today's blog should be, so I'll just write, and maybe by the time I'm done, a decent title will come to me.

My folks were always big on learning. They didn't have formal education beyond high school, but they were big on my brothers and I going to college and getting and education.When my folks grew up, the idea of everybody going off to college and having a "career" wasn't nearly as common as it is today. Sure, some of their classmates went on and became doctors, lawyers, teachers, other "professionals". A fair number of them became farmers, or local merchants. Hey, it's what you did when you grew up on a farm, or in a small farming community. Right after my parents got married, they started out as farmers, too.

I've always been one of those kids that wanted to learn more, understand more, get to the "why" of something, and then speculate on the "what if". I think I've probably mentioned before, being the type of learner I am, "what if" has always been my favorite question. But as a child, I learned a lot simply by watching my parents. I learned how to measure a board, cut a (relatively) straight line with a hand-saw, drive a nail, and build/repair a fence or a gate by watching my father do it. I learned how to till a garden by hand, pull weeds, tend to young plants, pick and clean the produce all by watching Dad do it, and then doing it alongside him. I learned how to blanch and freeze vegetables all by watching and helping Mom do it. I learned that when you tear apart some lumber, you have be careful of the nails, and if possible, pull out and then straighten the nails, so you could re-use them. Because nails cost money, and if you could re-use something, you did.

Now, those of you that know my Mom know that she tends to take that whole "re-use things" concept a bit far. When we moved Mom and Dad into the retirement apartment last summer, the process of going through the garage/basement/storage areas and cleaning out all of the old (translate: ancient) empty margarine containers that she had cleaned out and kept (because "somebody" might need them!), was a bit trying, even for somebody like me, who grew up seeing this and understanding where it came from. But in all fairness, Mom wasn't the only one...we cleaned out some scrap lumber out of the garage that Dad had squirreled away, because you never knew when you might need an extra board to repair a fence, or prop up a damaged limb on a tree, or....well, you get the picture.

So, yes, my brothers and I went off to college to get our degrees, and become "professionals". Older brother studied "numbers", ended up with his MBA, has been involved in finance/accounting pretty much ever since he got out of college. Little brother became a teacher, also has his Master's degree, and has been an educator ever since he got out of college. I got my degree in education, taught for about 10 years, and since then have done just about everything else imaginable except what my formal training prepared me for. More important than our formal education is the home-grown education we received. Sure, we all went off to college and became "book-smart". I can't speak for anyone else, but I've met quite a few people in my life that are "book-smart" and "street dumb". Or as my folks would say, they simply don't have any common sense. That is the thing I believe my parents taught me, and that I learned simply by watching them. Common sense. Simple things.

For instance, if I had to, I could build a functional gate for a fence. Why? Because I watched my father do it. Why did he do it? Because it needed done, and it cost too much money to hire somebody else to do it. Where did he learn how to do it? By watching his father do it on the farm. Neither my father or grandfather were carpenters by training or profession. They were simply farmers. And farmers do what it takes to get the job done, simply because it needs done and there isn't time/money/resources/other people around to do it.
I love to cook. How did I learn how to cook? By watching my mother. Granted, over the years (through much trial and error) I have learned to cook way outside the parameters my mother showed me, but she taught me the principles of reading and following a recipe, and the basics around what would and would not work in the kitchen.
Today? If somebody wants to build a fence or a gate or a storage shed, they either hire it done, or they go watch a YouTube video, and then try to mimic that. Or they go to the local store, buy a "pre-structured" building kit, and either pay for the store to put it together, or try to follow the 647 pages of directions and attempt to do it themselves.
I'm curious...do kids still learn by watching their parents?
OK, as I wrote that, I started chuckling to myself. Oh yes!  Children still learn by watching their parents. Of course they do! I guess the bigger question is:  WHAT are they learning, as they watch their parents? Are parents teaching their children common sense? Are parents teaching their children values? Yes, values. You know, please, thank you, yes sir, yes ma'am, how do you do, I'm very pleased to meet you, shaking hands, holding doors open, being polite and respectful to others....are these things being taught by parents to children?
I can't speak for other households, only the ones I'm intimately acquainted with. When our daughter was growing up, yes, those things were taught. She was taught values, she was taught respect and courtesy, she was taught common sense. She also was taught how to learn, so that when she was off on her own, she would continue to grow in wisdom and knowledge. (Quick aside: those two, wisdom and knowledge, are NOT the same thing. Both are essential.)
And we see her and her husband teaching our grandsons these things at home, as well. Sure, both mom and dad work...that is the reality of the economics in which we live today. But the quality time that they spend with our grandsons is intentional and every opportunity is taken where the boys can learn common sense, family values and useful information, usually simply by living life alongside their parents.

This idea of learning by watching and emulating...where have I heard that before?Hmmm...it will come to me. I wrote a couple days ago about the concept of a "legacy". I don't think my parents ever really thought about building a "legacy" when we were growing up. I know my father thinks of it now and then these days, especially as he sees his great-grandsons growing and learning. I watch him and the boys and I think to myself, "See Dad? You have this amazing legacy. This is you, living on in your great-grandsons." As they boys get older and are able to comprehend more, I will share with them the legacy of their great-grandfather. I will share with them who he is/was, and how he continues to live in them.
That's it...that's where I heard it.
John 14, starting in verse 19.:
"19In a little while, the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him.”…

I learned a lot of things by watching my parents. Common Sense things. However, I learn  "spiritual common sense" by watching my Heavenly Father, and trying to emulate Him. That's what the word "Christian" means..."Christ-like" or "little Christs" or "Christ-followers".
Am I my father? No, I will never become my father. He is who he is, and I am who I am. But if I want to become like him, I try to emulate what he does. Likewise, if I choose to follow Christ, I try to emulate and understand Him more. Yesterday, I wrote about "doing the next right thing". I'm pretty certain I won't do it perfectly, but today, right now, for this moment, I choose to follow Christ's example. It's time for me to really pay attention to my Spiritual Common Sense.

My two cents worth today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving