Geographic Cures

No matter where you go...there you are.

Have you ever known somebody who just up and moved in order to get away from their problems? Or they switched jobs, only to switch jobs again in a short period of time? Or maybe it was relationships. They would be appear to hopscotch relationships. Or church-hoppers. Or whatever. They just can't seem to be content or satisfied wherever they are, whomever they're with, whatever they're doing. They make this massive change, everything seems to be going really well, then for some reason (usually having something to do with the other people involved), they are discontented enough that they simply have to "leave".
I had a friend at one time...I say "had" because I have no idea where he is, nor even if he is still alive today. Let's call this friend "Pete". I met Pete at a time of great personal struggle in my life. Pete was also going through some great personal struggles at the time. We became good friends, staying in daily contact with each other. It was great to have a friend like Pete. We talked about everything and supported each other through some rugged times. But Pete had this uncanny capacity for hitting the self-destruct button. He would be doing great, have a good job, be getting himself solid in his spiritual walk, be developing healthy relationships...and then crash. At first, I thought it was just bad luck, or bad people. But over time, I could see that Pete's "crashes" were always a result of Pete making bad decisions...self-destructive decisions. He always had a support system, he always had people he could talk to, he usually had no trouble getting a job, or making friends, or anything. Pete was genuinely a good guy.
But I think, at the core of it, Pete couldn't accept that he was loved...by people and by God. Pete was convinced that he was unlovable. Pete saw himself as flawed and imperfect, and that was something he simply couldn't stand. In his mind, he had to be perfect before anyone...even God...could like him. And that simply wasn't going to happen. So whenever things were going great, Pete would hit the self-destruct button, indulge in self-destructive behavior, and "prove" to himself and everyone that he wasn't perfect, and therefore, not worthy. Then, he would move on, start all over again, engage in a "geographic cure", and start the process all over again. The last time I saw Pete, he was headed to Minneapolis, hoping to "start over again". I haven't heard from him since, and that was about 20 years ago.

This concept of not being worthy reminds me of people who tell me that they want to get into one of our Taekwondo classes. When I tell them when where and how, they back-pedal and say, "On no! I'd have to get into shape first!" Seriously? Um...that's what the classes are for...to get you into shape.

And the people who refuse to go to church, or engage in fellowship with the body of believers, thinking, "I need to clean up my act before I go to church." Folks, Christ didn't come to heal the healthy, he came to heal the sick. He isn't about saving only the perfect, He's about fixing the broken. And until I let Christ heal my brokenness, I will continue to be that hurting, scared piece of Creation thinking that I am unloved and unlovable. But the good news is that while we were yet sinners, God showed his great love for us by sending His Son as a living sacrifice so that we would know forgiveness, grace, mercy.

My prayer is that Pete figured out that no matter where you go, there you are. And if you ask Him to, Christ will be right there beside you...no matter where you go.

My two cents worth today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving