Welcome to Uncommon Common Sense

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome everyone to this blog.

A word about the title...
It has been my observation in the past several years, that something my momma used to talk about (i.e., "common sense") appears to be sadly lacking today.
I see it in my workplace, I see it in the day-to-day operations of our city and state, and, unfortunately, I see it in a larger sense in our society in general.
Let me take just one item that, to me, is a no-brainer. The proposed Marriage Amendment to the Iowa Constitution.
I can find nowhere in history where "marriage" has been defined in any other way than as a union between one man and one woman. Yet we have those in our society today who would try to change that definition.
I would submit that if one were to study the history of previous civilizations, that within 100 years of the allowance/acceptance of non-standard unions, the family structure of those societies fractured, and, ultimately, those societies fell into ruin.
Personally, I don't care if a couple is same-sex. That's their issue, not mine. Do I agree with the lifestyle? No. Are they still God's children? Yes. But am I willing to allow their extremely minority lifestyle to dictate a change in the definition of what "marriage" is? Nope.
Hey, if they want to live together, call it whatever they want...civil union, joint tenantship, blissful whatever, but it isn't "marriage".
And if I am elected to the State House, that will be one issue that you can count on me being one of the people standing in the front rank.
To me, that's just plain common sense.
And my two cents worth...

--Larry Voorhees

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving