Integrity

Integrity. Knowing "right" from "wrong", and choosing the next right thing, regardless of who is watching, or especially, if no one is watching.
Some folks really struggle with this concept today. Many will say that there is no "right" or "wrong". It all depends on the person, their personal value set, the circumstances, the situation, their background and upbringing, and society's current norms.
Let me see if I can find a single, succinct word that sums up my feelings on that approach.

Baloney.

That mindset smacks of something I call "situational ethics" or "values of the moment". It means that the individual who holds to that value set has no foundation. They have nothing to base their bedrock beliefs on, because it can shift or change from moment to moment, from situation to situation. "It all depends".

Baloney.

I have heard it said that "there are many paths up the mountain." I won't disagree with that. Sometimes, the methodology is variable in some things. There is more than one way to develop a project schedule. There is more than one way to swim. Some methods are more effective for one individual than for another. However, there must be something foundational....something unshakeable...something that anchors a person. There must be some absolutes in a person's belief and value system, from which all else is derived.

This, dear reader, is "integrity". Believing the same thing, regardless of the circumstances, regardless of the situation, regardless of who is watching, or what they might say or think. There are some things where "right" is right, and "wrong" is wrong.

I know where my baseline is. I know what my bedrock foundation is. I know there is a right and wrong, and even though we, as a society, attempt to paint everything in shades of gray, that is not the way it's supposed to be.

Look at a child. Every psychologist in the world will tell you that if you do not give a child firm, fair and consistent boundaries, you will warp and damage their development, both intellectually and emotionally.

Are we any different as adults? If we try to live our lives as if there are no rules, no boundaries, no consequences for wrong actions, are we not simply continuing that warping and damage to ourselves? Of course we are. That's just plain common sense.

Just as we must have some absolutes imposed on us as children, so that we can feel secure and safe in our growth and development, we must also define and adhere to personal absolutes as adults and contributing members of society.

A ship without an anchor isn't safe...it's eventually wrecked on whatever rocks or shoals it is blown against.

I know where my anchor is. Where is yours? Do you have one?

my two cents for today.

--Larry Voorhees

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving