Perseverance

Perseverance is that capacity that we have for knowing that a course of action is the "right" one, and continuing to hold that course, even when faced with adversity.
Now, this is not to be confused with "pig-headed" or "stubborn". It is a celebration of the virtue of working through the tough, boring, repetitive times. It is also the ability to continue to drive and lead, in the direction of positive change, toward a well-defined goal.
It takes perseverance to achieve a black belt. Hours, which become years, of training and exhertion.
It also takes perseverance to become an elected official.
However, these are two different things.

Becoming a black belt is an individualistic goal. One must have the personal desire to become a black belt. You cannot be successful in your quest to achieve black belt status if your motivation and drive are not intrinsic. You can't become a black belt "for" someone else.

On the other hand, I believe that if one wishes to become an elected official, it has to be "for" other people. If someone is wanting to an elected official merely because they want to, and they think it would be a "cool thing to do"...personally I don't think they stand much of a chance.

Why?

Because in my mind, the purpose of the position is at odds with the motivation. To me, the purpose of an elected official is to serve the people who elected him/her. The elected official is to represent the majority will of the individuals s/he represents.

I believe that the tenet of perseverance that I have lived and learned as a martial artist will hold me in good stead during my campaign for the state legislature. Becoming a legislator is not something that I choose to do for myself. On the contrary...I can see little or no personal advantage to my being a legislator. However, I firmly believe that those of us who have the ability to make a difference also have the obligation to do so. My understanding and application of 'perseverance' will hold me in good stead throughout the course of this campaign, and will be one of the qualities that I bring to the legislature as I serve my district.

I believe the people in our district deserve that, and nothing less.

my two cents worth today.

--Larry Voorhees

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving