Community

Imagine a place where your co-workers are nose-to-the-grindstone from the minute they hit the door until the minute they leave. They are focused, they are smart, they are creative, they share work, they willingly step up and help each other, they argue, they resolve, they don't just get by, but they purposefully take the time and effort to do it better. AND...they keep an eye out for your welfare. Yes, dear friends, such a place exists, and I am fortunate to work there. My teammates have my back. They go out of their way to take care of and help educate the "new guy" (who is old enough to be the father of at least two of them).
There is a company policy about making sure you "screen lock" your computer when you leave your desk. Granted, our team doesn't deal regularly with HIPAA-type information, or PII (personal identifiable information), but it's an everbody-in-the-company standard. I'm usually pretty good about it, especially after forgetting once or twice in my first week, and having somebody on the team remind me.
But jumping up and heading for a meeting that I was almost late for, I must have forgotten to lock my screen. When I came back from my hour-long meeting, I was about 3 cubes away from mine when I started to see pictures with my name on them, taped up along what was assumed to be my logical path back to my desk. Multiple pictures. One of Barney Fife. One of that annoying "Um...yeah...that'd be great..." boss from the movie "Office Space". One of a baby with an unhappy face. Notes written on white-boards. All saying the same thing: "Larry -- lock your computer."
It turns out that my senior manager had come by and noticed my computer wasn't locked, and it was HER idea to go overboard with the reminders. They were everywhere in our quarter of the floor. They even printed a couple off and left them at the copier, so that one of the other members of leadership saw it, saw my name on it, and brought it over to me. But wait, there's more! My manager had gone into the settings on my computer and flipped the screen sideways. One of my teammates had put scotch tape over the sensor of my mouse. About the only thing they didn't do was put a whoopie cushion on my chair.
For the next 2 hours, about every 5 minutes, one of my teammates would ask out loud, "I wonder...did Larry lock his computer?"
I smiled and chuckled to myself the rest of the day, and most of the way home.
Does anybody else have that much fun at work? I mean, sure...it's called "work" for a reason. But to me, it's also fun. It's enjoyable. I get to work with some pretty amazing people.
It struck me this morning that no matter where I am or what I'm doing, I'm generally enjoying myself. Because of the people. Because of the relationships. Sure, there are times when I prefer to be alone, but for the most part, I simply enjoy being around people. I enjoy the community, I enjoy the camaraderie. I enjoy the exponential creativity and energy.
And it bubbled to the surface this morning, that this is what we were created for. We were created as communal beings. We were created to interact with others. Yes, there are times to be alone, to rest, recover, spend time with God. But the majority of our lives are designed to be in community with other people. Even if it's just the smile, wave, head-nod, slight-lift-the-finger-off-the-steering-wheel-farmers-wave. I am blessed to work at a place where community is important. I am blessed to be a part of multiple "communities".
How about you? How about today? Get up, get out of the shell, and interact with somebody today. Just try it a little. Start small (don't hurt yourself, you might pull a hammie). Smile at somebody. Say hello to somebody today. Ask somebody about their plans for this coming weekend. And really listen to what they have to say. Trust, me, it's worth the effort.
Now, get out there and dive into your "communities".
Oh...and don't forget to lock your computer screen. ;)
My two cents worth today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving