Christmas Eve-eve, 2009

Today is December 23rd. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. The day after is Christmas. People are scrambling all over the place buying last-minute Christmas gifts. The Christmas light displays are beautiful, and people are traveling all over the place to spend Christmas with their families. Tonight, our church has a "Christmas Eve-eve" service. Tomorrow night, churches all over the world will be holding Christmas Eve services.
What's my point?
OK, here's my point: Christmas. Not "holiday", not "winter solstice" not "mass-marketing event", but CHRISTMAS.
At this time of year, I CELEBRATE. I celebrate the greatest gift that has ever been given...the gift of God's Salvation, through the birth of His Son. Yes, I've heard them all..."but if you do the math, Jesus was most likely born in the summer, like June or so."
Big freakin' deal.
Martin Luther King, Jr., was not born on the 3rd Monday of January, yet we celebrate "his day" then (so we can get another 3-day Federal holiday weekend out of the deal). And, as sacriligious as it may sound, MLK was not the Son of God, nor was he Divine, nor was he the Savior of the World. He was merely a man who WORKED for the Son of God.
So, here it is. I am CELEBRATING CHRISTmas. I absolutely refuse to apologize for being Christian, for desparately attempting to live my life in a Christ-like manner.

I fall, I fail miserably the vast majority of the time. However, with the grace of God, Christ picks me up daily, dusts me off, pats me on the rear and says, "Back into the game with you, my child. Give it another go."And back I go. Not that I am perfect, nor will I ever be perfect in this lifetime.
But at this time of year, I want everyone to know WHAT and WHOM I am celebrating.
I know that My Redeemer lives. I know who my King is. I know where my Salvation comes from.
It's not from the government, it's not from good works on my part, it's not because I'm wonderful and I deserve it.
Government is made up of men, and men are corrupt and sinful.My works are as filthy rags.The only thing "wonderful" about me is that I am "fearfully and wonderfully made".

And I am the most undeserving of men.Yet, HE came to this world, HE lived a sinless life, HE suffered and died on the Cross for my sins, HE rose from the dead and defeated Death and Satan for all time.
And He would have done it even if I were the only person in the world.
I am a blessed Child of the Most High, the Living God. I am an heir of the King of Kings.
I will not apologize, but will stand and proudly proclaim, from one heir of the Kingdom to all the other heirs of the Kingdom, and wish everyone a very, MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving