Self-Control

Hot fudge malts, with extra hot fudge, made with chocolate ice cream. There's a little shop in our district on Hubbell that my wife and I drool and swoon about during those long, cold winter months. Then, magically, usually in April, we'll happen to drive by the shop and notice that they're open. Yay! Grandma's is open! And we can indulge in our favorite shared treat.
I tell you, in my opinion, nobody makes a hot fudge malt with extra hot fudge and chocolate ice cream better than the folks at Grandma's Sweet Shop. And we indulge during the summer. At least once a week, usually more often.
Fortunately for our waistlines, we both tend to be quite active in the summer. My wife is forever doing something in the yard with her flowers. I tend to be also working in the yard more, or kicking at class more often. In any event, those wonderful hot fudge malts tend not to add to our waistlines.
However, as the weather gets cooler, we tend to be less active outdoors, and if we didn't curtail our hot-fudge malt consumption, we'd be packing on the pounds in very short order.
I can't speak for my wife or anyone else, but I really like chocolate. I can rationalize eating chocolate with the best of them.
Do you know what it means if you've got melted chocolate on your hands? It means you're eating it too slowly.
Did you know chocolate is a vegetable? Yup...it's made from beans.
See?
But without a modicum of self-control, I'd be twice the size I am, and probably suffering from some serious medical malady.
How important is it that our public leaders have the ability to exercise self-control?
You tell me. Personally, I think it ties back into the concept of Integrity. For instance, the speed limit on I-235 is 55 mph. I know...the way folks drive during rush hour, you'd think it was 70+. But no, it's actually posted at 55.
So, as an exercise in self-control, I put on the cruise-control at 55, and leave it there. You should see some of the looks I get from irate drivers that think I'm driving too slow! I just wave, and smile, and hope they don't get in accident.
Self-control in what we do as individuals is a tenet that is essential for a person that is given a position in the public trust. Our elected officials have to be people with convictions based in self-control, so that we can have the expectation that they will exercise prudence, good common sense, and self-control when it comes to governing and developing our laws.
But I would like to take that one step further. I would like to challenge all of you reading this to try an exercise in self-control
For one week, I would like to suggest that you drive the speed limit. Not one mile per hour faster. Scrupulously obey the speed limit. Too slow? No problem, just contact your local authorities and find out the proper manner to petition to have a speed limit changed, and go through those hoops to do so. But until that sign is changed, or that law altered, drive the limit, and not one mph over.
Try it for a week. Just one week. See how good it feels to be in control of one's self, even in just one small area of your life.

That's my two cents worth today.

--Larry Voorhees

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving