I'm not gonna participate.

Did you ever play tennis? I did, when I was in high school. I wasn't all that good...not much more than an average player.
Funny thing about tennis...it takes two people, minimum, to play a game. There has to be somebody on the other side of the net to hit the ball back to you. If you don't hit the ball back...well, you don't have a game.
For the past several weeks, I've been hearing about how horrible our economy is, how the world is going to hell in a handbasket, how the sky is falling, etc.
Sure, my 401k has lost about 35% of it's value. That's why I'm invested in a model that's designed for people that aren't going to retire for another 15-20 years.
One thing I do remember from my high school economics class is that everything is cyclical. We've had periods of robust growth in our nation before. We've also had periods of retraction before. It happens.
Why is it that people are so surprised when we don't have constant, unimpeded growth? Is that realistic? Does that make sense?
C'mon, folks. We're from Iowa. We know that we have a planting season, a growing season, a harvest season, and a season of dormancy. But, sure enough, planting season comes back around again. So does the growing season.
Why would anyone believe that economic growth would be in a constant state of upward motion? That simply doesn't make sense.
So, I've decided that I'm simply not going to hit the ball back over the net. When the media tries to tell me that the sky is falling, and we're in the midst of a huge economic recession...I'm simply not going to play the game.
No, I'm not sticking my head in the sand. I see that there are downturns. I see that there are some people that are under water with their home mortgages.
But I don't see that running around wailing and moaning, flailing our arms in the air, and looking to the state or federal government to "save us" as being the solution.
In my opinion, the solution is to simply do the next right thing. In my case, that means that as long as I have a job, I'll continue to pay my bills, I'll continue to care for my family, I'll continue to support my church, the charities that I'm affiliated with, do my civic duty....but I will not...I absolutely REFUSE to buy into this whole "the sky is falling" baloney.
If the folks in the White House or the folks in the State House want to throw themselves a little pity party about how horrible stuff is...count me out. And I think they can count a whole lot of other Iowans out, too.
We're simply not gonna participate in their recession.

...and that's my two cents worth for today.
--Larry Voorhees

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Directionally Challenged

Who I am, and Why I'm running

Thanksgiving